As I mentioned on day 1, making your own bias binding will give your backpack a more professional look. If you are making your backpack with a packcloth, I recommend using Oly*fun to make bias binding for the interior of the bag. If you are using duck, then store-bought double-fold bias tape will work just fine. Of course, you can make your bias binding out of whatever you want.
To bind the edges of the straps, you will want to use a bias binding you don’t mind seeing. I recommend making it out of the same fabric as used for contrast 1. Below you find instructions on how to make the bias binding.
What You Will Need
A 1/2 yard of fabric can be used to make all of the bias bindings.
For the interior, you need 5 1/2 yards of bias binding. For double-fold bias binding, you will need to be cut 2″ wide strips. You will need a piece of fabric that is 18″x40″.
If you are using a non-fraying fabric like Oly*fun then you can cut it 1″ wide. You will need a piece of Oly*fun that is 18″x28″.
For the straps, you need 2 1/2 yards of bias binding. This will need to be cut 2″ wide. You will need a piece of fabric that is 18″x30″.
For both, you need 8 yards of bias binding. This will need to be cut 2″ wide. You will need a piece of fabric that is 18″x48″.
How to Make Double-Fold Bias Binding
1. Start with a piece of fabric that has been squared (cut on grain with squared corners).
2. Place a cutting edge 45° from one corner to the top of the fabric. Cut along the 45° line.
3. Do the same on the other side, creating a parallelogram.
4. Draw a line parallel to the 45° angle 2″ from the edge. Continue drawing lines, 2″ apart, until you have reached the other side.
5. Match the the ends of the lines with the otherside, offsetting by one line. Stitch a 1/4″ seam and press seam open.
6. Cut along the lines in one continuous line.
7. Press the bias strips in half along the entire length.
8. Press cut edges to meet up with the fold.
9. Press the strips in half again with cut edges at the fold. Done.
How to Make the Bias Binding with Oly*Fun
Making the bias binding out of the Oly*fun is easier than the double-fold bias binding.
Complete steps 1-7 of the above, except draw lines at 1″ instead of 2″. Done.