During my daughter’s first year in Kindergarten she went through 2 backpacks! We had ripping and broken zippers. I have gotten so fed up with the kid backpacks I decided to make one.
My daughter wanted a Hello Kitty backpack, but of course there is no Hello Kitty fabric for making backpacks. Instead I used pink and black pack cloth and sewed on a Hello Kitty patch. I also embroidered my daughter’s name on the pack. Check out the pictures.
Making the backpack was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. The biggest problem I had was putting in the zippers the correct way. However, I never would have been able to sew this on my old Kenmore machine. The Pfaff sewed through the metal zipper, at speed, like it was sewing fabric. I never even broke a needle! I have broken needles on nylon zippers, sewing slowly, with the Kenmore. I think the backpack came out great!
Here are the materials I used:
- 400 Denier High Density Coated Packcloth Nylon Fabric in Hot Pink and Black
- 1000 Denier Coated CORDURA® Nylon Fabric in Black (for the bottom of the backpack)
- Black Heavy Athletic Sports Mesh Knit
- Polka Dot Fold-Over-Elastic
- Airtex Heavy Duty Foam Slab 0.5″
- #8 Coil YKK® Zipper by the Yard
- Metal slider with single pull for #8 Coil YKK® Zipper
- 100% Polyester Belting 1″-Raspberry
- Dritz Strap Adjuster – Black
- Oly*Fun Black (used for covering seams)BagsBags